Saturday, July 30, 2005

Album Review #1

Here's my first attempt at writing a CD review. So, I said a couple of posts ago that I was going to try to review one album that I consider to be in each category each week. Not sure how well this will fit with my CD collection, but I'll have to give it a shot, at least until I use up a category. Without further adu, my body (physical/surface emotions and music) album of the week is:

Guns and Roses: Appetite For Destruction


Scary as it may seem, this is one of my newer albums, released only 17 years ago in 1987. Fine year, that 1987... produced a bumper crop of good people, and then me... Anyways, it's also new to me: I've been a GNR fan for ages, but only got this CD a week ago (before this, I only had the Greatest Hits, which is also a sweet CD). But to get to the actual music: The album kicks off with one of the most memorable guitar intros/riffs I can remember, courtesy of Slash, and really sets the stage for the whole mood/rebellion theme of the CD, with the great track "Welcome to the Jungle". I'm sure most of you have probably heard this song at one point in time, so I won't go on about it. I'm not a huge fan of the next track, "It's So Easy", as it seems even a little shallow for an album like this, plus the music doesn't really resonate with me: yet, it's still a decent cut. However, the album only gets better from there. The third song is "Nightrain", which has fast become one of my favorite GNR songs: I'd never heard it before this, but it is very well done musically, and also is somewhat poetic (metaphors and the like). The album stays strong throughout, and includes such classics as "Sweet Child Of Mine" (probably my favorite love ballad ever, and also one of their best guitar riffs) and "Paradise City" (very well balanced between all the instruments and vocals, plus it is incredibly catchy). Another surprising track I found and enjoyed was "My Michelle": it really takes advantage of dynamics, and again is full of vibrating rhythms and chords.

Anyways, enough about the songs: here's some thoughts on the album as a whole. First off, this totally fits into my "Body" category, at least in what appeals about it to me. The lyrical themes of rebellion, paranoia, love, and sex reach out to the surface in me, not just in terms of shallow thoughts but also unconcious instincts and desires. The music also reinforces this: it can range towards the experimental and intellectual at times, but is always driven by the solid rhythm section, and is always based around continuing the general, logical progression of this song. Here, GNR show some indications of their later work, which involved many more experimental songs that were both lengthier and also dynamically and symphonically arranged (i.e. Don't Cry, November Rain), but reveal their straight-ahead rock side as well.

To sum it all up: amazing album. Each of the band members (Axl Rose, vocals, Slash, lead guitars, Izzy Stradlin, rhythm guitars, Duff McKagan, bass, and Steven Adler, drums) fully portray both their individual talents and their legendary chemistry as a unit throughout. One thing I was especially impressed by, as a drummer myself, was the inventive way that Adler incorporates his cowbell into almost every song. It is a very cool sound, but is easy to overuse. Adler manages to make it feel essential to each song, rather than only tacked on at the end. Anyways, thought that was cool, as I've always been a fan of stepping outside the conventional "drumming wisdom" box and using cowbells to a wide extent in rock. I'm going to stop rambling now, but will leave you with one thought: sweet album! If you are at all into hard rock or metal, you probably already own it, but if you don't, I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer: Some of the lyrics are rather explicit. If that bothers you, don't get it.

Love to hear some thoughts on this review from anyone else who owns/has listened to this album! Also, tell me if you have ideas to improve my future album reviews.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home