Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The K-nig-hts of The Round Table

Well, a lot has happened recently. The last couple weeks have been midterms of death, especially tonight's Linear Algebra, which gave me a severe cranleigh. Tomorrow is my last one, but it's in Chemistry, so not as bad, and it's also not worth very much. On Friday, I'm going to New York City for the weekend as part of an organized trip through our residents' society, which should be a blast: I'm especially looking forward to seeing Monty Python's Spamalot (the Broadway adaptation of Holy Grail) on Saturday, which will be amazing: it won best new Broadway show last year, and is continually sold out, so I had to get a ticket through a Ebay-like internet site: pricy, but I think it will be worth it. I'll do my best to avoid hickling, and hopefully won't stumble due to lack of bleans. Also went out and splurged on a digital camera today for the trip: I much prefer having pics on my computer to just having hard copies, and it will save me the time, hassle and $$$ of photo development. This week is officially Monty Python Week: in addition to going to the aforementioned show on Saturday, I just watched Meaning of Life (Python film) for the first time on Monday, which was awesome, and dressed up as the lumberjack (from the Monty Python song) to go trick or treating with some friends Monday night (we reckoned that we were still young enough if you count mental age). I'm also going to my biweekly SPAM meeting tomorrow, to even further saturate myself with Pythonic greatness. Anyways, in New York, I may also experience a chicago, a duluth, a droitwich and could possibly see a quedgeley. Looking forward to it...

Words you may not have previously encountered before this blog (from Meaning of Liff, the Douglas Adams book, not to be confused with the similar style of the Monty Python film Meaning of Life mentioned above):

CRANLEIGH (n.)

A mood of irrational irritation with everyone and everything.

HICKLING (participial vb.)
The practice of infuriating theatregoers by not only arriving late to a centre-row seat, but also loudly apologising to and patting each member of the audience in turn.

BLEAN (n.)
Scientific measure of luminosity : 1 glimmer = 100,000 bleans. Usherettes' torches are designed to produce between 2.5 and 4 bleans, enabling them to assist you in falling downstairs, treading on people or putting your hand into a Neapolitan tub when reaching for change.

CHICAGO (n.)
The foul-smelling wind which precedes an underground railway train.

DULUTH (adj.)
The smell of a taxi out of which people have just got.

DROITWICH (n.)
A street dance. The two partners approach from opposite directions and try politely to get out of each other's way. They step to the left, step to the right, apologise, step to the left again, apologise again, bump into each other and repeat as often as unnecessary.

QUEDGELEY (n.)
A rabidly left-wing politician who can afford to be that way because he married a millionairess.

2 Comments:

Blogger Share said...

andrew, i can't believe that you've succeded in seeing the big apple before me.

well, i can believe it. but i didn't want it to be true.

anyways, it's great that you got to see nyc. you'll have to blog all about it so i can sit here, read it, and fume with jealousy.

ps. your sister cleaned my room again. she still isn't asking for a paycheque.

12:53 a.m.  
Blogger Stewart said...

now now boys, apologize.... the real issue here is why andrew felt it necissary to enlighten us on the benefits of digital cameras? I suppose Andrew is just a philkotogranthipist (n.)- one who reacts to ancient history as if it were a recent phenomenon.

PS. Andrew, to save you the time and energy I will inform you that I made up the word so you don't have to look it up.

enjoy the pythonic brilliance pal. and make sure everyone in NYC knows we live in igloos.

1:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home