Monday, January 16, 2006

Research and Development(s)

So, my life has had some interesting twists lately. I just finished applying for a couple of summer research jobs in the Queen's Chemistry department: they look fascinating, and would certainly jump-start my long-hoped for Chemistry career plans. I'm not sure if I'll be successful in these applications, as they usually prefer upper-year students, but it's definitely worth a try. However, the one downside is that if I do get one of the positions, it will take my entire summer, and I likely won't be able to visit B.C.
That brings up another interesting point. I definitely enjoyed being home for Christmas, but at the same time, I felt partly out of place there. As you may have guessed from my last post and its endless Lord of the Rings references, I'm currently re-reading Tolkien (the series is my favorite books of all time, so it's definitely worth reading over and over again), and I think that this peculiar sense of displacement is one of the most valuable points he makes in those novels. For example, in The Hobbit, when Bilbo returns from his great adventure, he finds his belongings being sold at auction, and his relatives about to take over his house. That hasn't happened to me so far, fortunately, but the next part is more familiar: the people who used to know him well now think of him as odd for leaving his home and going off with wizards and dwarves. At the start of Lord of the Rings, most of the village has always considered Bilbo a bit strange as a result. My old friends were great, and it was good to see them again, but things have definitely changed: I know I'm a lot different than the person I used to be in high school, and most of them seem different as well (to a degree).
In The Return Of The King, the hobbits eventually return to the Shire. After they scour it of Saruman and his henchmen, they settle down and try to relive the good times they formerly had. However, their adventures have changed them all, for better or for worse. Sam now has the courage to marry Rosie, and Merry and Pippin have gained a great deal of responsibility as well as a sense of adventure. They have seen that there is a wider world out there, and they can't just turn their backs on it (as evidenced by the post-book journeys of Merry and Pippin that are referenced). Yet, Frodo can't relive the days that were, and must pass over the Sea, as he is no longer a creature of his environment. I feel somewhat similar: Surrey, to me, still feels like a great place, and it's definitely fun to visit, but I'm not sure if it's really my home anymore. Like Frodo, I've been changed by my experiences, and I no longer fit into the neat little box of life there...
Anyways, nothing's decided yet. If the job here doesn't work out, I may very well wind up coming back to B.C. for the summer, or I may go somewhere entirely different. Even if I do return, though, I know things won't be as they were. However, I think it really is for the best: change comes to us all, and there's no real point in trying to fight it. I don't want to abandon the past, and I definitely don't want to abandon the friends I have from it, but I also know that it can't be exactly as it was...

5 Comments:

Blogger dan brouwer said...

So.. um does that make you a hobbit now?

I hear ya though pal, can't really say the same for Edmonton though. Each of us will have a different experience and response to it for sure...change hmm..hard to accept, agreed.

2:07 p.m.  
Blogger Mr. H said...

According to my philosophy class, there is was a greek philosopher from Ionia who name I can't remember and probably couldn't spell even if I could remember his name. Anyways, the point is that he thought that change is just an illusion and that it doesn't even exist. He though it was stupid. Meanwhile there was another philosopher living at the same time as this guy who though change was so important, and that everything changes so much that "you can never step into the same river twice". Somethings change, some things don't. I hope you'll never change you're love for politics, because I find it interesting how much you know and such.

2:09 p.m.  
Blogger Mr. H said...

You're cute...?

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger Stewart said...

One thing never changes: the degree to which I enjoy your scraggly beard.
Seriously though Andrew I hope you are able to pursue your passion for Chemistry... just remember that the Leafs suck and that the West Coast is where it's at. I mean it's practically a rainforest!
Keep posting bucholtz. love ya pal.

9:59 p.m.  
Blogger Krissi Bucholtz said...

Change, gets to the best of us. Ah yes, I admit...there is points where I am even sad for a moment you're gone...however then I look around my room and think...nah. Haha, only kidding big bro, always remember you're welcome to come home if ya get bored of wherever you may be. Miss ya!

9:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home